Saturday, April 4, 2009

My worst decion of 2009 (thus far)

Its really not as bad as my title says...but it was a stupid move on my part. I volunteered to watch Ruby (Dustin's dog) at my itty bitty apartment on the 3rd floor for 2 weeks while he was out of the state for work. The first week he was in Ohio, then at my place for the weekend, then the next week he was in Memphis. The plan was he would leave Ruby at my place and she would be there waiting for me when I got home from NC. Then at the end of the stay I would just take her to his place (yesterday).

I quickly learned that my apartment is not set up for a larger dog. I got rather sick of walking up and down the stairs. She didn't have much area to run around. Plus, I wasn't supposed to have dogs in my apartment anyway. So anytime she barked I cringed and promptly told her to shut her yap. I also had to go home from work each day to take her out, which got old fast. I thought it would be fun at first, to have a running buddy. But Ruby has too much muscle and energy for me, and she is not leash trained. By the end of the stay I had reached my max in patience for her on the leash. I have also learned that picking up dog poo is not fun. Ruby also hates riding in cars. So when I attempted to bring her home it was a big ol disaster. She did fine in Champaign but then decided she needed to be in the front seat and climbed over the seats to get to me.

But now Ruby is back home and I think we were both glad it was time for her to go home. Some pluses is that I wasn't alone and had her to entertain me. And it made me go for a walk/run basically every night. I have learned that my apartment, car, and muscles are too small for an engergetic dog like Ruby!!!



Sure she looks inocent but don't let her fool you. This was after she climbed over the seat and wore herself out from freaking out.

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

Great photo.... so cute!!!! I bet you miss her. you wait!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you will think this way when you babysit my child. :) ~Melissa