Wednesday, July 11, 2007

07/11/07

I had some exciting news today...I have a job interview! It is at the Illinois state water survey in Champaign, IL. I'm pretty excited. I saw this job about a month ago and decided the description was too good to pass up. I told myself if I moved anywhere after DC it was gonna be home. Well if this goes through, its getting closer. There are a handful of reasons why I'd like this job. To name a few, its in the midwest, less people, its a days drive home, its a college town, its a university setting, its GIS, its atmospheric weather (not ocean), less people, its a good place to make more contacts, its a smaller city, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live there, did I mention less people?

I feel like I'm jumping from job to job to job...but while these aren't permanent, why not? Most people in the profession know that jobs only last a year or two if they are grant funded. And while I'm single and free...ok sure. I do want to have a family someday, but I'd like to have a job I like. And somedays I worry that will be hard to do. So I figure while I'm single might as well take advantage of that. Now that I am actively applying for other jobs the question of leaving DC comes into mind. While I like it here, I don't want to stay here forever. Its just too much. I always wanted to live in a big city, do the big city things, take the big city subways and I can say I have done it and whenever the time comes to leave I will be happy I did it. Now I"m not jumping the gun here or think I have the job in the bag at all. I was thinking this stuff even before I got the phone call.

Oh yeah, the interview is next Friday, they are flying me in, its a big deal! Before now I've only had phone interviews and I'd have to say, I'm pretty nervous. Better brush up on my skills.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats... good luck on the interview, and you have to post how it goes. I hope you get the job!!

The Fun Park said...

That's great news! good luck. Lyn, Paige, and I will be thinking about you.