Monday, January 1, 2007

I have arrived in DC

Well I have decided to start a blog. The main reason is because of my move to DC. I figure it might be somewhat interesting to read and it will be a good way for me to pass the time. Most of you know moving isn't an easy thing for me. We all know what happened in Alaska and OKC. But this move, I really am trying to make it different. First of all, my job will be a ton better than in OKC. I am working at NOAA...NOAA! It's the top of the top. It will be a huge resume builder. The pay is good, the hours are good, the contacts I will make are priceless. Hopefully this year will be a good one.

In the weather world there are few jobs and even fewer in Nebraska. By taking this year internship I am hoping it opens more doors in places closer to home. But I also hope it will be a fun year in DC. Maybe something I can tell my grandchildren someday...my year in DC.

Anyway, enough background info. So today was my first full day in DC. Last night Nikki, Tigh and I arrived here. I got my car unloaded and threw everything into my room. We went to Target and let me tell you...wow! It is a two level Target with an escalator for your cart! I have never seen something like that! I'm sure I'll spend plenty time there.

Luckily I have internet, but no tv right now in my room. My townhouse is pretty cool. I am living with a guy named Alex, he owns this place. It is 4 levels and very nice. That was a big thing for me, to find a nice area. Some place I can go home to after work and feel like I've felt work.

Tigh, Nikki, and I rang the new year in at Rock Bottom Brewery in Bethesda, I love that place. I've been to two others...one in Seattle and San Diego. We stayed there till 12:01am and left. Then this morning we got up at 5am to get them to the airport. Which was an adventure getting back to my place. It was the first time driving in DC w/out a navigator telling me where to go.

Today was rough...being in a new place alone. I have had them with me the whole trip so it wasn't as lonely. But now, it's gut check time. I'm here and that's it. Home is 1,000+ miles away and everything I know. I occupied myself by watching the Huskers lose (boo) and going to Barnes and Noble. I will probably be in bed rather early just to end the day and boredom.

Tomorrow will probably be a lot like today...nothingness. I will find a place to workout and that might be it.

Time to wrap this up and call mom before bed. Thank God for her...she is a life saver, I have no idea what I'd do without her!


Good night from DC,
Shelley


PS. As soon as I buy a digital camera I plan to fill this thing with pics of my time here.

2 comments:

The Fun Park said...

Yes...please take pictures and post them.

The Fun Park said...

Yes...please take pictures and post them.