Well I made it through my first weekend in DC. I know it sounds weird, that it was tough for me. But when you have nothing to do and know no one, it's hard. Every minute feels like 30 minutes, however it didn't really go too bad. On Friday night I joined Wes and Gwen for supper. Some of her school friends joined us. So that was nice.
Saturday I woke up and made it to Fitness First for a spinning class. Needless to say, I was not impressed and left rather homesick. I am having a really hard time finding a gym I like here. All the gyms are so crowded and just not like the Y back home. I don't want to sign a contract somewhere cause there is a fee if you break it and they usually last a good year or so. My roommates girlfriend (Shannon) has gotten me a pass for Gold's Gym, so that will be the next place to try.
I have also decided to start this running program with a local runners club (maybe i won't need a gym then). I figure that way I have to run and I'll have people to run with. I have yet to venture out and run around the area. I could easily get lost. At home you can make 4 left turns and end up where you started....here, well you would end up on some freeway and off to Virginia! It's a 14 week program and it helps you build up at a 10K. Well my goal is a half marathon at the end of March. But right now, I just need something to get me running again.
Anyway, back to my Saturday...so after the gym I came back and decided to venture downtown. It was 70 degrees here! I went to Union Station thinking there would be cool stores...nope, there weren't. The building itself was really cool, but the shops were lacking. I wondered around for a bit and then walked outside. Which about 2 blocks away was the US Capital. It's just crazy that I am few miles away from very powerful buildings! After my venture I got back on the Metro and headed home. That night Shannon and Alex were nice enough to invite me to eat with them. We went to Bethesda (a couple miles away) to a Mexican place, it was good. We actually ate outside because it was so nice!
Today I went to a local mall looking for work clothes. I struck out big time but the mall rocked! It was nice and big and had tons of stores in it. I think it be best I stay away from the mall until I get a paycheck. Well, probably stay away all together.
That about sums up my weekend. I am looking forward to Extreme Makeover: Home Edition tonight. It is the Lincoln one! I can't wait, I want to record it just so I can watch it again and see pieces of home. Hopefully it's not too corny (haha, nebraska...corn, ok sorry) and represents Nebraska well.
Anyway, I'm off to the little market to get some food for the work week, the work cafeteria sucks!
Later!
Sunday, January 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey you! I have to apologize that I haven't been on here until today (and at work of all times) :) I hope your day is going well and we are thinking about you. I can't wait to visit you and maybe do the big run! Hopefully you will be able to find a gym soon and keep up the workouts so we can kick some booty! Have fun! Look forward to reading again!
Post a Comment