Wednesday, January 31, 2007

One month down....

I can't believe I have been in DC for a month. A month ago at this time I was getting settled in, going to target and buying stuff. I have to say, this month has gone pretty fast! Which, I am ok with. I had been thinking about this blog entry for a couple days, which is pretty sad, but now that I am writing it I can't think of much to write about. I guess I'll begin with my misses and likes.

What I miss about home....
1) My friends and family
2) Open spaces
3) The Y
4) My running route
5) Lunches downtown Lincoln (including the Cookie co)
6) The people at AFWA
7) Lincoln


What I like about here...
1) The running club
2) My townhouse and it's location
3) Rockville
4) The wow factor of NOAA
5) Public transportation to get to the city
6) Tourist traps
7) Running/walking trails
8) Two level target!


My work life has been pretty good and really, couldn't get much better. My hours are flexible, I come and go as I please. I"m getting a good wage and good benefits. I like the location of work and my duties. I actually feel like I am putting my degree to use. That this is what it should be used for. As for the people there, they are ok. My area is quiet and people don't do much. But I have lunch buddies! I don't mind eating lunch alone but there is something about having people to sit with at lunch. Kind of like back in high school...I know, pretty lame. But I eat with three guys and they are nice guys. Which leads me to another issue...the people from the east coast. One of the guys I eat with grew up 20 miles east of DC, went to college near Baltimore and now is back at the place he grew up. He thinks he is pretty worldly cause he lives/works in DC. But honestly, he is more sheltered than I am and many of my friends back home. One time we were walking downtown DC and he was like "whoa you are in the big city now!"...i said yes, I have seen buildings before. What gives?

I have also learned that people don't leave home very easily. I am one of those...trust me, this has been a challenge. But many of the people in the running club grew up here and have lived here. I haven't really met too many people out of work that have moved here. My roommate grew up 10 miles away, went to Univ of Maryland and now lives here. There is just something about home that keeps people at home. And personally, I will probably end up closer to home after this experience.

In this month I have learned a lot about me. First, that I can be pretty dependent on people and I was in Lincoln. It's pretty easy to go and do things when you have someone with you. But it take a little more guts to do things alone. It gets a little lonely when I want to tell someone something and I have to pick up the phone or send an email. I miss having someone to eat out with at night or even a quick trip to Target. I do get bored on the weekends and I find myself making sure I have something to do so I don't go nuts. But I know this will eventually change. I am looking forward to warmer weather and longer daylight hours.

All in all its been a good month. There have been trying days and triumphant days. There have been days where I have felt like no one misses me and I am easily replaceable. But there have also been days where I feel accepted here and missed at home. I know each day will get better and easier and things will become more familiar.

Anyway friends, that is all for now, have a good night and thanks for all your encouraging words through this first month!

No comments: