Today I came to the sad realization that I will not be going home for Old Settlers. I know this sounds odd but its almost like a holiday for me. I grew up counting down the days until the fun town festival of Old Settlers. I anticipated it as much as Christmas. As kids, my brother and I would wait on the porch for Clint and Neil to get to our house. Then next day I would then count down the hours until the 6:00 whistle (which meant dad got off work) so we could go to the carnival and ride the rides! The next day was the parade and more rides! As I grew up Old Settlers got to be a little less exciting, Clint and Neil stopped coming and as teenagers it was a little boring. But that all seemed to changed when the I hit the college years! There were parties and then at the fun age of 21 the famous park beer garden was welcoming with doors wide open. It became more fun because then I would see old classmates also. One of my favorite memories has to be Kelly Halladay ripping apart the bingo stand on Sunday night after we left the beer garden. Don't worry, the bingo stand was closed and the benches were wooden-makeshift things.
Enough of this, anyway, my point. It's going to suck being here in DC when this is going on. Also, to makes things worse Kris, Lyn, and Paige are going back. A double whammy. But I just can't get home. I have too many things this summer. I have a wedding to fly to in Cali in August and then a wedding at home in Sept. I have guests visiting here these next 3 weekends as well. I choose to live here for a year knowing that I would miss some things and this is a big one. The only way I'll be going home is if I find some cheap flight from DC and that probably will not happen with the amount of time left before Old Settlers. It's ok. I will just keep myself extremely busy that weekend.
In other happenings: Tigh and Nikki get here Friday!!!
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You need to come back to Asheville for a weekend getaway. We will miss you but believe me… I understand your situation. Remember you can always come home for Old Settlers but you might only have this one chance to live in DC. Enjoy DC and the east coast while you can. Have fun with your friends this weekend.
No reason to be sad anymore. I heard today you got a ticket to fly back.
Post a Comment